Sunday, November 04, 2007

Driftwood Poetry

Somewhere on the south coast of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, there is a roadside park named "Rest Area".

It's just one of many spots along US Route 2 between Escanaba and St. Ignace where you can just pull over, and walk the beach for miles. A lot more driftwood came to rest at this Rest Area than the others.


Some were crawling with fungus, moss, and lichens.



One especially gnarly tree stump stood out. It held out some rocks.


When I looked closer, I saw this poem written on it.


A soul of water
A soul of stone
A soul of fire
A soul unknown


Near the rock bowl, I saw another poem.


I couldn't read it. I took some close-up shots so I could try again later.

I think it says...

The years unmake
Our flesh
Our bone
The soul is all
And all alone


I searched the beach for a nice rock to add to the stump's collection...


...I found one, washed it off, and dropped it in.

4 comments:

Dee Martin said...

oh thank you for taking us on this ramble with you. I was born and raised in Fair Haven, about thirty miles from Detroit. I live in Texas now and haven't been back in years but I have spent time in the UP when I was growing up. This was such a lovely reminder of the beauty there and what a special gift to find the poems!!

Tumblewords: said...

An absolutely glorious post!

George S Batty said...

enjoyed this blog. admire your ethics. that's a lovely poem. some would have taken credit. Maybe you ahould write a book called "Stump Poetry" Send out the call for all bloggers to submit an "Authentic Stump Poetry" poem.
Maybe you shouldn't. We would have an epidemic of graffiti all across america. again, good blog

Glowby said...

Thanks! It occurs to me that some words may have faded away by now. I'm happy to have caught it.

I'd be surprised if locals hadn't taken pics too. Perhaps some can recite the poems!